May 24, 2012

A Glasgow Man's Perilous Mistake

Seven persons have been dangerously hurt at Glasgow by an explosion of gunpowder.  A deaf and dumb man found a keg in a passage, and took it home ; he seems to have thought it contained butter.  Failing to force it open with a poker, he made the poker red-hot, and proceded to bore a hole in the keg ; the contents were gunpowder.  The explosion which followed blew the roof off the house, and every person in the building, except an infant, suffered.  (Leeds Intelligencer, February 11th, 1854)

1 comment: