September 25, 2012

Poisoned by Haddock

    Boiled haddock, purchased from a hawker, and eaten for breakfast and dinner, caused Charlotte Jane Short's death in London.  The fish was bad, she told a friend before she died, and she noticed this when eating it, but she was a poor woman, and said she could not afford to waste it. 
    At the inquest, to-day, a verdict was returned of "Death from accidental causes."  (Yorkshire Evening Post, August 2nd, 1904)

September 23, 2012

Choked by his False Teeth

At an inquest yesterday on the body of Mr. Edwin Clayton, who was suffocated at Endon, between Leek and Stoke, through swallowing his false teeth, a doctor said he found the top plate of Clayton's false teeth wedged behind the claque of his throat, which would cause him to attempt to vomit, but he would not be able to do so, the fluid would enter the lungs, and he would be suffocated.  A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.  (Yorkshire Evening Post, June 8th, 1904)

September 12, 2012

Mysterious Death of a Husband and Wife

A shocking discovery has just been made at Bilston, Staffordshire, where a man and his wife have been found lying dead in bed, and the corpse of the woman in particular dreadfully discovered.  The neighbourhood is greatly excited, and very many rumours are afloat.  All, however, that appears to be definitely known at present is that the deaths must have occurred as far back as Thursday last.  (Yorkshire Post, December 2nd, 1873)